Calvary Chapel of Pittsburgh, has been formed as a fellowship of believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Our supreme desire is to know Christ and to be conformed into His image by the power of the Holy Spirit.
We are not a denominational church, nor are we opposed to denominations as such, only their overemphasis of the doctrinal differences that have led to the division of the Body of Christ. We believe that the only true basis of Christian fellowship is His (agape) love, which is greater than any differences we possess and without which we have no right to claim ourselves Christians.
WE BELIEVE that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all.
WE BELIEVE that the SCRIPTURES of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error in the original manuscripts, and the infallible rule of faith and practice.
WE BELIEVE in JESUS CHRIST, God's only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings, His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and His future, personal, visible return to earth
WE BELIEVE in the HOLY SPIRIT, Who came forth from the Father and the Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify, and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ; we believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is an abiding Helper, Teacher, and Guide. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all the Biblical gifts of the Holy Spirit.
WE BELIEVE that all PEOPLE are sinners by nature and choice and, therefore, are under condemnation, that God regenerates by the Holy Spirit those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord, that Jesus Christ infills the seeking believer with the Holy Spirit and power for service, often subsequent to regeneration.
WE BELIEVE in the universal CHURCH, the living spiritual body, of which Christ is the Head and all regenerated persons are members.
WE BELIEVE that the Lord Jesus Christ committed two ORDINANCES to the Church: 1) Water baptism, and 2) The Lord's Supper. We believe in baptism by immersion and communion open to all believers.
WE BELIEVE also in the LAYING ON OF HANDS for the baptism of the Holy Spirit, for ordination of pastors, elders, and deacons, and for receiving gifts of the Holy Spirit for healing.
WE BELIEVE in the future, personal, and visible RETURN OF CHRIST to earth and the establishment of His Kingdom, in resurrection of the body, the final judgment, and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless suffering of the wicked.
WE BELIEVE in what is termed "THE APOSTLES' CREED" as embodying fundamental facts of Christian Faith.
The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth: And in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hades; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen
- Worship of God should be spiritual.
Therefore: We remain flexible and yielded to the leading of the Holy Spirit to direct our worship.
- Worship of God should be inspirational.
Therefore: We give a great place to music in our worship.
- Worship of God should be intelligent.
Therefore: Our services are designed with great emphasis upon teaching the Word of God that He might instruct us how he should be worshipped.
- Worship of God is fruitful.
Therefore: We look for His love in our lives as the supreme manifestation that we have truly been worshipping Him.
We hold to...
- The inerrancy of Scripture in the original writings;
- The continuance today of the diversities of spiritual gifts as found in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11;
- Simplicity in church government, rather than complex bureaucracy;
- Dependence upon the Holy Spirit to lead, rather than fleshly promotion;
- The pre-millennial, pre-tribulation return of Christ for His waiting church; and
- The teaching of the Word of God in such a way that it can be applied to life as beneficial toward growing in maturity.
At times, certain issues become controversial in the church. Calvary Chapel feels it necessary to take a stand in the following areas.
- The teaching of "positive confession";
- The belief that true Christians can be possessed by demons;
- "Dominion theology," the belief that the church will set up a worldwide theocratic government, will evangelize the world, and then and only then will usher in the earthly reign of Christ;
- A fatalistic, Calvinistic view which allows no room for free will;
- Prophesy that supersedes Biblical Scripture;
- The incorporation of humanistic psychology and philosophy into biblical teaching; however, we do not deny the value of professional medical services for those problems;
- "Charismania," the overemphasis of spiritual gifts, experimental
signs, wonders, etc..
In our services...
We focus on a personal relationship with God through worship, prayer, and the teaching of the Word of God. We teach both expository and topically. We do not allow speaking loudly in tongues or the interruption of our services with prophesy if there is a Bible study in progress. It is not that we do not hold to the using of these gifts, but we believe that everything should be done decently and in order. We believe that God will not interrupt Himself. We have specific believers' meetings where the exercise of spiritual gifts is encouraged.
Our central belief concerning evangelism is that "sheep beget sheep". If we continue to feed the flock of God, they will in turn be submitted to God and have a burden to lead people to Christ. Currently, there are over 900 Calvary Chapel affiliates internationally, many of which are involved in outreach ministries in communities all over the world.